Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Vodka vs. Gin


Last night at Punch restaurant in the Flatiron District I ordered a gin cosmo and my friend Natalia ordered the more traditional vodka version. The drinks arrived in small, stem-less glasses (not my favorite; more on cocktail stemware later this week). I drank the one placed before me and found that beyond tasting very lemony it was virtually flavorless. Natalia took one sip from hers and almost gagged. “Taste this,” she said, “It’s so fragrant, it must be yours.” It was, deliciously so.

I think the reason I didn’t notice the mix-up was that I’m so used to inferior, insipid cosmos made with Triple Sec and watered down lemonade that I assumed it was just another one of those. Natalia thinks it’s because she is much more of the cosmo connoisseur, even though I’m the one with the blog.

But that’s clearly not true, because why would anyone with a cultivated appreciation for cosmos not switch to gin?

3 comments:

Michele Hush said...

You ordered a gin martini? Is that a first? Even if it's not, it pays to be very, very fussy about one's gin.

Mary said...

Martini?? I meant cosmo. How does a person who has a blog about cosmos type "martini" by mistake?

Cosmo. It was a gin cosmo. No martinis were imbibed. That's a whole other blog.

Barbara said...

Sound research, but have you considered trying Grand Marnier, sibling of Cointreau & Triple Sec, but on the high end of the scale? Can contribute some home-crafted elixir....anything for science!