Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Manly Cosmo


This past Monday night my colleagues and I had dinner at Bar Breton up the block from our office in the Flat Iron district. (Two-for-one burger night, but we didn't know that so one of the four of us ordered pork loin; it was delicious.)

Ash, who ordered a Stella for the first round of cocktails, was curious about my gin cosmo and asked for a sip. Next round, she ordered one for herself. A convert! And that wasn't even based on the taste of the superior ones Barbara and I have at home. This drink had the lemony taste that 95% of none-homemade cosmos have, but it was still good because the gin gave it a lot of flavor. (I've stopped specifying the ingredients beyond gin when I go out because I want to see what kind they make without my micromanagement. Also, the typical restaurant/bar cosmo is a weaker version of the ones we make, and I like that because it makes having two possible.)

Perhaps inspired by all the cosmo talk, Michael also ordered one for round two. A Ketel One cosmo on the rocks. A manly cosmo. It wasn't in a martini glass and it wasn't made with gin, but I still felt it was a big step in the right direction.

2 comments:

kevin sprouls said...

Manly Cosmo's-- yes, I can see it. My Wife, Roe, does order this Gin concoction very often, with exacting prescripitude: Tanqueray, dash of cranberry juice, squeeze of fresh lime wedge, maybe half an ounce of Grand Marnier. The finished product should be reminiscent of the color of the western sky at sunset.
It is much more interesting with gin. But I am partial to gin, so take it with a grain of rimming salt.

Brian McGlynn said...

Pondering the color, would that include the "purple mountains' majesty" or just the red glow of chemical pollution in the air?