Saturday, March 20, 2010

More Magazine: Too Cool for Cosmos

I understand wanting to look the same age as you feel, and in fact I've succeeded in doing it. The problem is, I feel like I'm 80. But that's another story; this story is about how the latest issue of More magazine includes an article called "Does This Cocktail Make Me Look Old?" in which cosmos are called the official beverage of menopausal women.

When I was in high school and college, I didn't drink at all. I thought it was cooler to do the opposite of what was perceived to be cool than it was to do the cool thing. That perverse logic continues to guide me, though it's become harder to pull off in middle age where the line between "cool" and "eccentric crackpot" is, like everything else, blurred. So I will continue to order cosmos, partly because not thinking you're too cool for anything is still the coolest way to be, but mostly because I like them.

As for the cosmo alternatives More puts forth as less aging than mom jeans and minivans, who really wants to order a Friends with Benefits, a 28 4EVA, a Starter Husband or a Cougar Baitini? Not I, and not because I'm too cool for them. Though I am definitely too something.

6 comments:

kelleybean said...

Is everyone speechless? Or just trying to spin something clever?

peegee said...

I am trying to think what the "cool" names for drinks were for the twenty-something crowd when I was in my twenties....All that come to mind are Sex on the Beach and Afternoon Delight.....

Michele Hush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michele Hush said...

This is what I tried to say a moment ago, without the typos: More magazine is inexplicable. A few years ago it decided that its original target, which I believe was women in their 30s and 40s, was too old and shifted its focus to a somewhat younger crowd. Are we now to believe people in their 20s and 30s are worried about being aged by a drink that More declares untrendy? Miss Mary, keep drinking those cosmos. It's More that is old.

Anne Kerray said...

Sometimes you have to suffer to be cool! Thank God Gin & Tonic is still al classic.

Brian McGlynn said...

First, no, it's not the cosmo that makes you look old, it's the wrinkles, grey hair and pot belly.

On a brighter note, Atlantic Monthly now has a regular feature on cocktails. Sadly, one recent item noted that cocktails these days are "too strong." Nick and Nora would be scandalized, I'm sure!